Available in eBraille only.
Now available: Baking Illustrated Chapter 6: Crisps, Cobblers, and Other Fruit Desserts!
This is a baking book that works.
Don't let the title fool you -- this is more of a baking encyclopedia with recipes than an illustrated book, and the few illustrations in the print text are not even necessary! We love this book for its amazing basic recipes. But this is more than a great cookbook: The editors at Cook's Illustrated bring you inside America's Test Kitchen, where the cooks and editors have examined every ingredient, technique, and piece of equipment. As they say in the Test Kitchen, "We make the mistakes so you don't have to."
Chapter One of this huge, encyclopedic cookbook contains 49 recipes for perfect Quick Breads, Muffins, Biscuits and Scones (see the full recipes list below).
There's cooking and there's baking, and the two should never be confused. Good cooks are ever commendable. Good bakers, on the other hand, have something about them bigger than skill or imagination, something that reaches back to the beginning of agriculture and the first inklings of civilization. Good bakers are their own mystic society.
- Amazon.com review
An indispensable, comprehensive baking reference.
- Publishers Weekly
I have always enjoyed cooking and plan to go into the business field. I want to have or work in a small bakery or restaurant. Last October, I joined our local 4-H club and recently entered things in the county fair.
I am writing to comment on the book, Baking Illustrated. I purchased it in Atlanta at the convention. I prepared two recipes: Blueberry and Corn Muffins, which were two of the baked items I entered in the fair. They turned out excellent! They were better than the book suggested. Are you
going to do other chapters? This one was great, and it's definitely worth doing more.
- Amy Herstein
Recipe list for Chapter One:
- Banana Bread
- Banana-Chocolate Bread
- Banana-Coconut Bread with Macadamia Nuts
- Orange-Spice Banana Bread
- Cranberry-Nut Bread
- Date-Nut Bread
- Zucchini Bread
- Gingerbread with Dried Fruit
- Boston Brown Bread
- Golden Northern Cornbread
- Golden Cornbread with Cheddar Cheese
- Golden Cornbread with Chiles
- Golden Cornbread with Bacon
- Southern Cornbread
- Classic Irish Soda Bread
- Irish Brown Soda Bread
- Oatmeal-Walnut Soda Bread
- American-Style Soda Bread with Raisins and Caraway
- Blueberry Muffins
- Cinnamon-Sugar-Dipped Blueberry Muffins
- Ginger-Glazed Blueberry Muffins
- Lemon-Glazed Blueberry Muffins
- Corn Muffins
- Corn and Apricot Muffins with Orange Essence
- Bacon-Scallion Corn Muffins with Cheddar Cheese
- Coffeecake Muffins
- Coffeecake Muffins with Quick Confectioner's Sugar Icing
- Buttermilk Biscuits
- Cream Biscuits
- Cream Biscuits with Fresh Herbs
- Cream Biscuits with Cheddar Cheese
- Cream Scones with Currants
- Glazed Scones
- Cakey Scones
- Ginger Scones
- Cranberry-Orange Scones
- Lemon-Blueberry Scones
- Oatmeal Scones
- Cinnamon-Raisin Oatmeal Scones
- Apricot-Almond Oatmeal Scones
- Oatmeal Scones with Dried Cherries and Hazelnuts
- Glazed Maple-Pecan Oatmeal Scones
- Quick Cinnamon Buns with Buttermilk Icing
- Buttermilk Doughnuts
- Powdered Sugar Buttermilk Doughnuts
- Cinnamon-Sugared Buttermilk Doughnuts
Want some healthy recipes?