Mood Changers Game
There are days that just don't go your way, but you have plenty of tools for changing your mood and lifting your spirits. You just have to use them!
Feelings can bubble up from nowhere and spoil your day. Some days, you just wake up in a bad mood, and other days something happens that keeps you from being happy. Maybe you planned to go for a walk and it rained! Maybe a friend made fun of you and hurt your feelings! Maybe your little brother broke your favorite toy! Any of these things can make you feel really lousy.
You can't always plan how you will feel or the mood that follows, but you can have a plan for changing your mood. Try playing the Mood Changers game and see how easy it is to go from a bad mood to a good mood!
Mood Changers Game!
What You'll Need
You may need sighted help with this, so ask an older sibling, friend, or adult to help you.
- If you are using tape:
- a. Divide the paper plate into 4 equal parts by making a cross with 2 strips of tape.
- b. Rotate the paper plate a quarter of a turn in either direction.
- c. Divide each of the 4 parts into 2 equal triangles by making a cross with 2 strips of tape. You should now have 8 equal sections on the paper plate, each separated by tape.
- If you are using construction paper:
- a. Cut 4 strips of construction paper, each about ¼" wide.
- b. Spread glue on the backs of 2 of the strips.
- c. Divide the paper plate into 4 equal parts by making a cross with the 2 strips of construction paper.
- d. Rotate the paper plate a quarter of a turn in either direction.
- e. Spread glue on the backs of the other 2 strips of construction paper.
- f. Divide each of the 4 parts into 2 equal triangles by making a cross with the 2 strips of construction paper. You should now have 8 equal sections on the paper plate, each separated by paper strips.
- Choose your 8 favorite activities from the list below. Select ones that make you feel good, that bring a smile to your face, or relaxes you.
- 4. Make braille labels of your 8 favorite activities and attach 1 to each section of your paper plate. If you are playing with sighted friends or family members, have them write the name of each activity above or below the braille label.
- 5. Place the spoon in the center of the paper plate face down and spin it by giving it a twirl with your fingers. Do the activity that the head of the spoon lands on. Does it change your mood and lift your spirits to do this activity? Why?
- 6. Save your mood changers spinner for the next time you are feeling blue. Simply give it a spin, do the activity the spoon lands on, and enjoy a better mood!