We at National Braille Press appeal to you not to duplicate electronic
download versions of our books. It would be easy enough to do, but
it would have a negative effect on our efforts to offer low-cost
accessible products, like this one, in the future.
Which publications are available for download?
Any publication that NBP offers as a PortaBook or ASCII text file is available for download.
This includes our periodicals, Syndicated Columnists Weekly and Our Special Magazine.
In what formats are downloadable publications available?
Most publications are available as embosser-ready electronic braille files with the BRF file extension. Some are also available as printer-ready ASCII text files with a TXT file extension.
How do I purchase a publication for download?
You can order a downloadable publication from the NBP website by doing the following:
- Go to www.braille.com or www.nbp.org.
- Log in.
- Select a book or magazine subscription in the usual way.
- In the Format combo box, choose "PortaBook (download)" or "ASCII Text (download)."
- Purchase additional items, if desired.
- Check out as usual. Note that if all your purchases are downloads, the page where you select shipping options is skipped.
- Once your credit card has been approved, you will be on a page containing a link to your My Downloads page. Follow this link to download your purchase.
How do I download a publication I have purchased?
- Log in if you have not already done so; you will be taken to your Account page. Note that if you are already logged into the site, you can reach the Account page from any other page on the site.
- Follow the My Downloads link on this page.
- Find the book or magazine you wish to download. Any books you have purchased are listed first, followed by periodicals.
- Click on the link to the publication you wish to download. Depending on your settings, either a download dialog box will open, or the file will open on screen. Download or save the file.
- If a book is more than one volume long, there is a separate link to each volume; be sure to download them all.
Can I download something more than once?
Yes, you can download the publications you purchase as often as you like; they remain on your My Downloads page and may be accessed at any time.
If I buy a magazine for download, how will I know when a new issue is available?
Unless you choose not to be notified, you will receive an e-mail message letting you know whenever a new issue is ready. This message is sent to the e-mail address you use to log in, so be sure it's a working address. This message includes a link to your My Downloads page, so that you can log in and download the magazine. You can also choose to have your new issue sent as an attachment to the message. You can configure your notification for each magazine separately, i.e., you could choose to have SCW sent as an attachment, but to receive only a link to OS. To choose your e-mail preferences, do the following:
Important: If you are correctly subscribed but are not receiving the emailed files or emailed notifications,
- Go to your My Downloads page.
- Select the magazine whose options you want to configure. Each magazine is listed in the format, "magazine name - PBD."
- Press Down Arrow twice to reach a combo box.
- Choose the notification you want - none, link, or Attachment.
- Tab to the Update button.
- Press Enter. Your preference is saved.
please check your junk mail folder! Because these emails are generated by our database, they may be identified by some email programs as "spam" or junk. Check your junk mail folder; if you find an email from us in there, use the proper procedure for your particular email system to identify the email as "not junk mail."
What if I'm already subscribed to a magazine in braille? Can I get it as a download instead?
Yes. Just let Customer Service know, and they will change your subscription from braille to download. You can e-mail them at email@example.com, or call 1-800-548-7323 or (617) 266-6160, extension 20.
If I want to download a free publication, do I have to use the shopping cart?
No. You can use the shopping cart if you like, but the Free Downloads page is still available; you can use it to download free publications as before.
If you have other questions that we did not answer
here, please call our customer service department at 800-548-7323, or
(617) 266-6160 x 520.